We have to admit that we're kind of in the dark about what's going to go down on the Once Upon a Time Season 3 finale (Season 3, Episodes 21 and 22). After all, Zelena appeared to be defeated this week, at least until Rumplestiltskin's (Robert Carlyle) ill-advised revenge released her magic and created a portal.
But what does that portal do? And what else can we expect from the two-part finale, which is made up of episodes called "Snow Drifts" (a callback to Season 1, Episode 3, "Snow Falls") and "There's No Place Like Home"?
The American and Canadian promos for the episode both hold pieces of the puzzle, so we've taken a close look at both to see what we can figure out.
First, here's the Canadian promo:
1. Emma needs some encouragement. This promo begins with Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) trying to cheer Emma (Jennifer Morrison) up. Clearly, she's still confused about what she wants to do next, because she says she's still looking for "home."
2. A celebration, interrupted. At :09 we see the townsfolk gathered at Granny's to celebrate Zelena's defeat, but at :13 the festivities are interrupted when Henry (Jared Gilmore) sees something weird.
3. The time portal is open! And by "something weird," we apparently mean something that proves Zelena's time portal is open, as Rumple explains at :17. So much for everything being over.
4. Do Hook and Emma fall through the portal? This promo ends with Hook and Emma investigating the portal, and almost getting sucked in. Do one or both fall through? Based on the American promo, the answer appears to be a strong "yes."
Here it is:
5. Emma falls through for sure. Let's skip to the end for a second: at :24, we see Emma fall into the portal. Although the voiceover in the promo talks about where we're going next season, we're pretty positive this moment isn't about next year. Instead, it looks like Emma goes back in time, and we think Hook goes with her, as we'll see in the rest of this promo.
6. As we said: Emma and Hook. This promo opens with Emma and Hook walking through the woods. Emma is in an old-school cloak — not exactly her usual Storybrooke attire. And do you see that fallen tree? We're pretty sure that's the one that stopped Charming and Abigail's carriage in "Snow Falls" (more on that in a second).
7. Rumple and Emma! The second shot of the promo is Dark One Rumple talking to a blonde, and at :15 we see he definitely talks to Emma. We can't wait to see her reaction to Rumple at his most impish.
8. Emma and Hook dancing. More evidence that Hook follows Emma to the past: At :06 the two of them are spotted dancing at a Fairytale Land ball.
9. When in the past are we? Assuming our theory about Emma traveling back in time is right, when does she land? Well, based on the title of "Snow Drifts," the shot of outlaw Snow tearing down a Wanted poster of herself, and the moment at :10 that revisits Snow and Charming's meeting, we're guessing we're right around the time of "Snow Falls," which means Snow is on the run and Regina is at the height of her Evil Queen glory (as evidenced by her wardrobe choice).
10. Hook gets into a swordfight. As we see at :13.
11. Hook vs. Hook. We're not sure if that swordfight is Hook fighting a past version of himself, but at :17 one version of Hook definitely punches another. Amazing.
12. Graham's wolf? That looks like Graham's wolf at :20. Is it too much to hope for a surprise Jamie Dornan cameo?
13. Where are we going next? The promo also promises that in the final minutes of the episode, we'll find out where we're going next year. Exciting!
Are you looking forward to this episode? Let us know in the comments below!
Catch the Once Upon a Time Season 3 finale on Sunday, May 11 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.