With the Once Upon a Time Season 2 premiere less than a month away (the highly anticipated episode airs on September 30), we can't stop thinking about the magical show. And once we start thinking about it, we start asking questions. And we have a lot of questions.
So without further ado, here are our Top 10 biggest questions going into the second season. We suspect not all of them will be answered, but that doesn't stop us from wondering.
1. Um … what the heck does bringing magic to our world even mean? Obviously, we can count on this one getting answered pretty thoroughly, since the consequences of Mr. Gold's (Robert Carlyle) big move will undoubtedly drive much of the plot this year.
2. Where is Baelfire? Rumplestiltskin's son can't stay hidden forever. We're desperately curious to know where he is and what he's been up to ever since he fell through the magical portal to our world. Perhaps most importantly of all: Whenever he does show up, will he be able to forgive his father?
3. Who is Henry's dad? On a show like Once Upon a Time, we find it almost impossible to believe that Henry's dad is a random nobody. We suspect he's connected to the Fairytale Land somehow. But how? A common (and intriguing) theory is that he is Baelfire, but that's hardly the only option.
4. What's the story behind Henry's book? Who wrote it? How did Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin) get it? How does August (Eion Bailey) tie in? This is another question that apparently will be answered next year.
5. Who is Dr. Whale? And why did he look so distressed in the Season 1 finale after he regained his memories? We have some theories about the doctor's unrevealed identity, but we want to know the truth. Fortunately, it sounds like this is another mystery that will be solved this season.
6. What is Rumplestiltskin and Regina's backstory? We know we'll learn more about how these evil foes met next season, but we suspect it will take a long time for their entire twisted story to unfold. We'll be hanging on every moment — as much as we love our heroes, nothing is quite as riveting as watching these two villains play off each other.
7. What happened to Cora? Somewhere between Daniel's heart being ripped out and Regina's (Lana Parrilla) rise to evil power, something must have happened between Regina and her mother. Did Regina ever get revenge on the person who actually deserved it? When and how did she start following in her mom's heart-ripping footsteps? This is another backstory we're eager to learn more about.
8. What other worlds can be reached through Jefferson's hat? We imagine that the longer the show runs, the more story worlds will be added, and we can't wait.
9. Why did Graham "remember everything" before he died? We know that true love breaks any curse, but does that mean Graham had true love with Emma? Was it just because she's the savior? Enquiring minds want to know.
10. Why and how did Mr. Gold bring Henry to Storybrooke? According to show creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, Mr. Gold didn't regain his memories of the other world until Emma told him her name in the pilot episode (they confirm that in this interview around the 6:35 mark). But if that's the case, how and why did he bring Henry to Storybrooke? Was it just part of the mechanism of the curse? Did he still have some idea of who he was?
There are also all sorts of Fairytale Land plot questions we're hoping will be answered. How did Regina's dad end up in Wonderland? What happened to Jefferson's wife? You get the picture.
What are you wondering about? Let us know in the comments below.
Once Upon a Time Season 2 premieres on September 30, 2012 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaMartin47.
Want more OUAT news? Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter.