While Taylor Schilling isn't exactly a newbie on the acting scene, her starring role as Orange Is the New Black's compellingly self absorbed protagonist, Piper Chapman, has propelled her to a whole new level of fame.
Who exactly is she? new fans might be asking. We're here to give you a better picture of the woman who brings Piper to life, with five fun and interesting facts about Taylor's life.
1. You might also know her from... As we said, this ain't Taylor's first time at the rodeo. You might also know her from her starring role as Nurse Veronica Callahan on the short-lived TV show Mercy, or for her roles in Dark Matter, Atlas Shrugged: Part I, The Lucky One, or Argo.
2. She's from Boston. Born and raised in Boston, Taylor is, of course, a Boston Red Sox fan. Duh!
3. Her dad was an assistant district attorney. No, this isn't just a fun fact: it turns out hearing about prisoners and prison guards growing up gave Taylor some background for tackling OITNB.
4. Her first acting role was in a middle school production of Fiddler on the Roof. So all of you who had big acting dreams thanks to your early experiences in school theater can kick yourself for giving up hope (or take some encouragement from Taylor's example).
5. She was hesitant about returning to TV. Taylor apparently didn't have a good time working on Mercy, and was hesitant to do a TV show again. But she was swayed by the strength of the OITNB script — and it doesn’t hurt she loves showrunner Jenji Kohan!