Fans of the raunchy comedy series American Pie might know who Natasha Lyonne is (she played Jessica), but for many, seeing her on Orange Is the New Black as Nicky Nichols, Red’s right-hand gal, was their first time experiencing the charm from this radiant 5’3” actress.
For those of you just being introduced to the fabulous actress, we’ve scoured the internet searching for five fun facts and interesting facts about her life. Check ‘em out below!
1. She a Child Star. When she was 7 years old, Natasha was cast as Opal on Pee-wee’s Playhouse. She appeared in six episodes.
2. She’s Had Some Major Health Scares. Back in August 2005, Natasha was hospitalized in New York City’s Beth Israel Hospital’s intensive care unit with a reported case of hepatitis C, a heart ailment, and a collapsed lung. Yikes!
3. She’s a Bad Girl. Back in August 2001, Natasha was arrested by Miami Beach police on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, careless driving, and leaving the scene of an accident. Her car, a rented Dodge, ran off the road. She was arrested at about 1:45 a.m. and released the next day. Her statement to the cops was, “I’m a movie star. Can I talk to my entertainment lawyer?”
4. She’s Jewish. Natasha was raised in an Orthodox Jewish household and her maternal grandparents were Holocaust survivors.
5. She’s so Inspirational. Rufus Wainwright wrote his song “Natasha” about her. Take a listen below!