So, what is Alysia like? Here are five fun facts about the OITNB actress to get to know her better.
1. She's an environmentalist. Alysia is a champion of all things eco-friendly, and she and her hubby, actor David Alan Basche, used their own home as a way to share information about building green. Their brownstone renovation in Harlem has been featured on the TV shows World’s Greenest Homes, Home & Family, and Renovation Nation and in various books and magazines like Dwell, Gotham, and The Nest. They also allowed the environmentally friendly construction process to be chronicled on Web sites such as Dwell.com and Kohler.com. And yes, Alysia even makes her own fruit leather!
2. She's a classically trained Shakespearean actress. Alysia actually met her husband while playing Olivia in Twelfth Night. Plus, she played Rosalind in As You Like It at a Shakespeare festival when she was 3-6 months pregnant with her daughter Livia. Talk about commitment to her art!
3. She's a science geek. She studied psycho-neuro biochemistry at Vassar (she's definitely well rounded), and still gets Popular Science.
4. She recently designed her first piece of jewelry. Speaking of being well rounded, Alysia recently branched out into jewelry making. She worked with Suz Sumersall and Kira Kira to create a necklace, and the proceeds of all sales of it will go to the Women's Prison Associate.
5. She writes, too. Alysia wrote and illustrated a children's book that she made for dear friends and their babies. She's also a contributor to the Huffington Post.
For more about Alysia, check out her website!