And what a trailer it is! The Orange Is the New Black cast and crew have been pretty tight-lipped about what we can expect from this season, but this promo gives us plenty to chew on. There's a lot going on, so we've taken time to give it a close look to see what we can learn.
Here are our 11 biggest takeaways from this epic trailer.
1. Piper in solitary. After Piper's epic beatdown of Pennsatucky at the end of Season 1, it's no surprise that this promo opens with our (anti)hero in solitary. "I am prepared to behave like a model inmate, and I feel I no longer pose a threat," she says in voiceover. But is that really true? At 1:17 she breaks out her badass side again, threatening someone: "I am a lone wolf, and a vicious one. Don't make me rip your throat out." Clearly, she has embraced her darker side. We can dig it.
Either way, she clearly gets out of solitary, since we see her back in gen pop at :46.
2. Party time! At :14 we're treated to the inmates celebrating, and throughout the promo we see scattered shots of fun moments. Dancing, smiling, bonding, dinner — everyone's saying this season is crazier and more intense than the show's freshmen outing, but clearly there's still levity, too. Given that Netflix is trying to sell OITNB as a comedy at the Emmys this year, we expect that it will still bring the laughs.
3. New characters. At :18 we see a new girl. "This is not how I imagined prison to be, at all." Welcome to Litchfield, honey. There's also new character Vee, who's so important she gets her very own point below.
4. Daya and Bennett. Daya and Bennett are still going hot 'n heavy at :20, but it's not all fun and games for these star-crossed lovers. Throughout the promo we see scattered bits of what seems like a fight between them. "You have the power," she says at :55. "I'm an inmate. I have nothing." Well, is it a fight, or just Daya explaining the way things are? Either way it seems like an interesting conversation.
5. Flashbacks! We'll also continue to learn about the lives of our favorite characters prior to prison. At :22 we get a flash of Morello on the outside. Can't wait for that!
6. Let's talk Vee. "A woman I knew a long time ago came back in yesterday," Red says at :25. She's talking about new character Vee, and judging by the way they look at each other at :28, their relationship was not friendly.
Red isn't the only one Vee will affect, either. At :37 she makes friends with Suzanne, and at :50 Gloria tells someone "I don't trust any of you crazy bitches." The person she's talking to has her back to the camera, but based on her hair and height we're pretty sure it's Vee.
7. Bennett goes mad with power? At :55 we see Bennett apparently abusing his power, getting aggressive in the cafeteria. Has his position gone to his head, or is there more going on in this scene? Is he angry because of something to do with Daya? Could he purposefully be making a scene to distract from something else that's going down?
8. A gun goes off! A police officer fires a gun at 1:13. Is that from a flashback? Something in the present day?
9. What happens to Sister Ingalls? At 1:22 we see Sister Ingalls in a hospital bed, though at 1:14 she's being wheeled through the halls making peace signs, which hopefully means she's OK.
10. Poussey upset. We do not like seeing Poussey collapsed in the library at 1:21. She looks really upset about something.
11. Where's Pennsatucky? One of the most interesting things about this promo is that Pennsatucky is nowhere to be seen. We know actress Taryn Manning is back this season, and now we're extra curious to know what she'll be up to.
What's your favorite part of the trailer? Let us know in the comments below!