Game of Thrones Season 4, Episode 6 (“The Laws of Gods and Men”) treated us to one of Peter Dinklage’s best scenes ever as Tyrion Lannister when he blew up at everyone during his heartbreakingly unjust trial. In honor of that masterwork, here are our picks for the Emmy winning actor’s best moments over the course of the show.
1. Tyrion saves Sansa. Long before they were married, Tyrion rescued Sansa from Joffrey’s most physical attack on her, interrupting Meryn Trant while he stripped and beat her at Joffrey’s orders. While the scene wasn’t the first time we rooted for Dinklage in the role, we were probably never so glad to see him as we were in that moment when his booming voice cut through the throne room just as Meryn was about to strike Sansa with his sword, reminding us that Tyrion was not going to stand for injustice... which ironically may be his biggest flaw.
2. Battle of Blackwater. Another scene (or episode, rather) of Tyrion being a hero, we get to see him save the city of King’s Landing against Stannis’ invading army. Tyrion had the genius idea of unleashing wildfire against Stannis’ ships, which certainly did a lot of damage. Then when the remainder of Stannis’ navy made it ashore, Tyrion was forced to lead the battle when Joffrey retreated, shouting the memorable line, “Those are brave men knocking at our door, let’s go kill them!” We’d follow Dinklage into battle any day!
3. Tyrion’s wedding. While Dinklage often shows off his serious acting chops on the show in heroic or gut-wrenching scenes, he also provides a good chunk of the show’s humor. This is probably never more evident than during Tyrion’s wedding to Sansa, a marriage that he wanted no part of. He gets sloppy drunk, so drunk that we have a hard time believing Dinklage wasn’t guzzling real wine in the scene, and proceeds to insult the king to his face in front of everyone. We’re not sure anyone else could have pulled off the scene but Dinklage, and really showed off the actor’s range.
4. Every time he slapped Joffrey. Is there really any more iconic example of Dinklage’s performance than seeing him slap Joffrey in the face? The scenes that launched a thousand gifs show Tyrion doing on screen what all of us wished we could do ourselves, showing that Tyrion really is a man of the people, and one who refuses to get pushed around by vicious idiot kings.
5. Tyrion’s trial. Markedly different than Tyrion’s trial at the Vale, which he never seemed to take too seriously, Tyrion’s trial for the murder of Joffrey begins lightly enough with Meryn Trant and Grand Maester Pycelle predictably testifying against Tyrion, prompting predictably wise ass remarks. But the tone starts to shift after Varys’ testimony as we begin to see Tyrion breaking down just a bit, and then once Shae enters he finally cracks. Dinklage unleashes a lifetime of torment from Tyrion, putting everything he had into the scene and squeezing out every drop of cynicism and anger that this man had held inside his entire life. It was truly something to behold, and we can’t wait to see what he does next.
What's your favorite Tyrion scene? Let us know in the comments below!