After a lackluster premiere, Pretty Little Liars Season 5, Episode 2 ("Whirly Girlie") was a return to form. Ali (Sasha Pieterse) has only been back in town for a hot second, and she's already wreaking havoc — and it doesn't look like the sailing gets any smoother in Season 5, Episode 3 (“Surfing the Aftershocks”).
The promo for the episode makes it look super exciting, so we've taken a closer look to find out exactly what we can learn from it.
1. How does Ali feel about her mom's death? It was unclear if Ali was upset, pleased, or both, to discover that her mother is dead, but the promo opens with her, apparently despondent, lying on her bed, and then there are a couple of more shots of her sitting and laying down, looking upset. Is she as sad as she looks in these brief shots, or is she just contemplating her options? Is it a mix of the two?
2. Ali coming back to school? "What's it going to be like when Ali comes back to Rosewood High?" Mona asks someone at :03. "All that drama, and danger, and suspense?" Is she talking to the Liars? Mocking them? The next shot is of Aria and Hanna, but it looks like those two shots aren't from the same scene. Maybe Mona is continuing to stir up anti-Ali sentiments among those the former queen bee used to torment?
3. The Liars are back in school. The Liars return to school this week, and we have a feeling that will be a weird adjustment. Will they be barraged with questions from curious classmates?
4. Ali out at night. At :05 we see Ali out at night, apparently alone. She whips around, as if she's heard something that makes her nervous. What's she up to? Is she meeting with the Liars? Someone else? Is this related to the shot of Emily and Hanna out at night at :09?
5. What's Spencer reading? At :05 we also see a closeup of someone's eyes. We think it's Spencer, and it looks like she's reading something. Maybe a threat from "A"? Or perhaps she's doing some investigating into Mrs. D's death. The next shot shows her looking through what appears to be some sort of notes or cards, and it looks like she's sneaking around while doing it...
6. Mrs. D's funeral? At :06 we see all four Liars in black, and then at :07 we see Ali on the stairs, also in black and looking upset. Our guess is this is for Mrs. D's funeral, or memorial service. Do these girls just have an endless supply of black dresses for all the funerals they have to attend?
7. Who gets a call from Ali? Who is Ali calling at :09? Is it one of the Liars?
8. Mona flashback! Looks like we get a Mona flashback, as we can see at :10. Yes, please.
9. What's crazy? At :10 Aria tells Spencer something is "crazy." "Crazy around here works on a sliding scale," Spencer replies, very accurately. Does Spence have an out-there theory about who killed Mrs. D? That's our first guess.
10. Hey Melissa! Melissa is back, and looking upset at :13. Who's she talking to? It appears to be a guy. Maybe Jason? Her dad? It's hard to tell.
11. The big lie. "Now we're in one of Ali's biggest lies ever!" Hanna says to the other Liars at :14. Sounds like she's not happy with the situation, just like Spencer in Episode 2.
12. A sitdown. At :14 we see all four Liars sitting down at a desk. It doesn't appear to be in the police station. Maybe they're meeting with the principle?
13. Ali and Ezra. Another Ali and Ezra scene at :16! So excited.
14. Whose feet? At :18 there's a creepy shot of a pair of feet under what looks a changing room door. We're not really sure what's going on there, but it's clearly not great, and it looks like Hanna's the one who might be in trouble.
15. "That's who killed her?" "That's who killed her?" Spencer says to someone at :19. "You've got to be kidding me!" Who's she talking to? It looks like a man. Her dad maybe? Holbrook? And who's the "her"? This line is intercut with shots of Mrs. D's body, so our guess is that's who Spencer is talking about, but that could be a mislead. "Her" could mean the dead girl in Ali's grave. Or maybe even Shana (in which case Spencer's shock would probably be because the wrong person is being framed)...
Check it out yourself!
Did we miss something? Interpret something wrong? Share your observations in the comments below!
Catch the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on June 24, 2014 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.