Although Nate isn't on ABC Family's list of potential betrayers for Season 3, Episode 12: “The Lady Killer,” we still don't trust this Pretty Little Liars newbie.
Why? Oh, lots of reasons, not the least of which being that we don't trust any Rosewood newcomer. But here are the top six things that make us especially wary of him.
1. The way he's been hitting on Emily (Shay Mitchell). Sure, Emily is gorgeous and wonderful, and we can see why someone would develop a crush on her. But isn't it a little creepy to keep aggressively hitting on a girl who a) identifies as a lesbian, and b) was dating your recently departed cousin? And while their kiss in Season 3, Episode 10: “What Lies Beneath” could be interpreted as a mutual moment of mourning, it could also be seen as Nate taking advantage of Emily being in a vulnerable place, emotionally.
2. His anger issues. Nate claimed that the harsh way he treated Jenna (Tammin Sursok) at The Brew in Episode 10 was out of character for him, but this isn't the first time he's displayed anger issues — he also tried to attack Garrett (Yani Gellman) at the hospital. Is this all just a manifestation of his grief over Maya (Bianca Lawson), or is it an indication that he has more deep seeded issues?
3. The fact that Maya never mentioned him. And, in general, there's been no real verification of Nate's story that he is her cousin. If they were as close as he claimed — so close he wanted to transfer to Hollis to be near her — you'd think she would have told Emily about him.
4. The earrings. On Season 3, Episode 7: “Crazy,” Nate told Emily he knew she'd bought Maya a certain pair of earrings — but Emily hadn't given the earrings to Maya until right before she disappeared. How in the world did he know about them? Did he see her during the week she was missing?
5. His interest in Jenna. Does he just have iffy taste in women, or does Nate's interest in Jenna mean something? She didn't seem very happy to see him in Episode 10, and in general it doesn't seem like they're working together. But the fact that he tried to date the one other girl in Rosewood who is as caught up in all the mystery as the Liars seems like a pretty large coincidence.
6. Maya's male stalker. Maya said she had a stalker ex from reform camp. There's never been a follow-up on who that was, and we can't help but think Nate fits the profile. He's obsessed with Maya, he knows things about her that he shouldn't, he's weirdly aggressive, he keeps on hitting on Emily in a way that seems kind of creepy … yes, he could just be a grieving cousin, but it's not hard to see how he could be someone much darker, instead.
What do you think? Is Nate exactly who he says he is, or is he up to no good?
Catch an all-new episode of PLL on Tuesday, August 21 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.
Get your Pretty Little Liars fix: Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter and Tumblr!