We know someone close to the Liars is going to betrAy them in the Pretty Little Liars Season 3 summer finale (Season 3, Episode 12: “The Lady Killer”) by being part of the "A" team. The big reveal is just days away — the finale is on August 28 — but that doesn't mean we don't have time for a bit more speculation.
Lucas Gottesman (Brendan Robinson) is one of the most suspicious faces on ABC Family’s list of 12 potential suspects. But does that mean he's really the one who will betray the girls in the finale? Here are our thoughts on why he may be on the "A" team — and also why he may not be the betrAyer after all.
He hates Ali. Lucas has plenty of reasons to hate Alison (Sasha Pieterse), and, by extension, her friends. Not to mention his clear crush on Hanna (Ashley Benson), which, despite a few sparks, has gone unreciprocated. Lucas has been plenty spurned by the Liars, giving him motivation to join the "A" team.
His sketchy behavior. Lucas has acted really sketchy throughout the end of Season 2 and all of Season 3. Here's a (non-exhaustive) list of his most noteworthy suspicious actions:
- That whole incident with Hanna (Ashley Benson) at the lake in Season 2, when he acted totally creepy and then ran away for a while. He claimed he acted odd because he lost Caleb's (Tyler Blackburn) money gambling, but that story seems completely random (Lucas doesn't have a history with gambling, as far as we know), and we don't really buy it.
- On the night of the masquerade ball he was seen talking to Jenna (Tammin Sursok), and Melissa (Torrey DeVitto) (who was in the Black Swan outfit.)
- The Liars saw Lucas out and about "The Night."
- Lucas has visited Mona (Janel Parrish) at Radley.
- In Season 3, Episode 5: “That Girl is Poison” Aria (Lucy Hale) finds pills in Lucas's camera bag that could have been used to drug Emily (Shay Mitchell) "that night." We also know he was stealing from the photo studio, and was unusually desperate to get in and get his bag back.
His attitude. Once upon a time Lucas was a nice guy, but these days he's jumpy, sullen, and downright mean. Even his friendship with Caleb seems to have been destroyed. Is the pressure of being on the "A" team getting to him, or is it just regular teenaged angst?
His anger issues. At a deeper level, we know Lucas has anger issues, as evidenced by the fact that even back when he was "nice" he destroyed Ali's grave and lashed out at Hanna while drunk.
Why he might not be the betrAyer. While all signs point to Lucas being up to something — most likely something "A"-related — we're not convinced he's the big betrAyer. Why? Because the betrAyal is supposed to be shocking, and the betrAyer is being billed as someone close to the girls. Lucas has only ever been close to Hanna, and at this point they aren't really friends anymore. And as for it being shocking … Well, just look at that list we put together. The only thing that would be surprising at this point is if Lucas isn't up to something bad.
Do you think Lucas is the betrAyer? Let us know in the comments below.
Catch the PLL Season 3 summer finale on Tuesday, August 28 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.