Pretty Little Liars always leaves us with more questions than answers, and one of the biggest questions on our mind right now is why, exactly, is Mrs. Hastings suddenly all gung-ho about defending Garrett (Yani Gellman)?
Hopefully we'll find out more about this odd turn of events on Season 3, Episode 4: “Birds of a Feather,” but until then, there are our top five theories about why Spencer's (Troian Bellisario) mom is suddenly siding with the guy who is accused of killing Alison (Sasha Pieterse).
1. He was the father of Melissa's child: This theory was floated during Season 3, Episode 3: “Kingdom of the Blind,” and while we're not convinced it's true it's certainly a possibility.
2. She's trying to protect Spencer: Remember, Mrs. Hastings went from freaking out over Spencer talking to Garrett to defending him — and forbidding him to talk to anyone other than his lawyers. Maybe this is all a way to keep Spencer away from Garrett because Mrs. Hastings is concerned about her daughter's safety.
3. He has given her convincing evidence of his innocence: Garrett has hinted that there's more to his story than we know. It's possible that Mrs. Hastings went to yell at him about talking to Spencer, only to be swayed to his side once she got there.
4. Mrs. Hastings knows more about the night of Ali's death then she's letting on: There are still a lot of questions about how much the Hastings adults know (or suspect) about the night Ali died and Melissa's involvement in the events leading up to the murder. It's possible that Mrs. Hastings has her own reasons for suspecting Garrett is innocent.
5. No, really, she just believes everyone deserves a good defense: Oh, who are we kidding? This is Rosewood. The first explanation is never the true one.
Why do you think Mrs. Hastings is helping Garrett? Let us know in the comments below.
Catch an all-new episode of PLL on Tuesday, June 26 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC Family.
Rebecca Martin is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @BeccaMartin47.
Get your Pretty Little Liars fix: Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter and Tumblr!