Talk about fireworks! In this week’s episode of Pretty Little Liars (Season 2, Episode 15: “A Hot Piece of A”), Caleb's (Tyler Blackburn) shady phone-tampering skills come in handy once again; Garrett and Jenna (Tammin Sursok) are having a little trouble in paradise; and Hanna (Ashley Benson) invites Lucas (Brendan Robinson) to go for a swim. (May this be a lesson: Never piss off a blonde with oar-swinging skills!)
Wherein Aria Meets a Brand New Hottie.
Remember how Ezra (Ian Harding) and Aria (Lucy Hale) were convinced that their relationship would be easier if everything were out in the open? So much for that! With Ezra telling Aria not to call him anymore (we’d be scared of Byron, too!), could this really be the end of our beloved Ezria? Then again, this couple seems to have more lives than a cat, so we have a feeling they’ll pull through, especially with Aria’s mom Ella (Holly Marie Combs) softening by the end of the episode.
And what happens if Aria and Ezra indeed continue to be forbidden from seeing each other? Well, there must be worse consolation prizes than new mop-topped cutie Holden, who supposedly knew Aria as a kid and helped her to ride a bike. (Lance Armstrong would be proud.) But is there anything less hot than having your parents play matchmaker?
Wherein Hanna Realizes That Throwing a Party Isn’t As Simple As Martha Stewart Makes It Seem.
We typically love how blissfully clueless Hanna is, but we felt like she maybe went a tad far this week. Like, would she really force Lucas to throw a surprise party for Caleb, knowing that Lucas has always carried a torch for her? Not to mention that her suddenly desire to throw Caleb a party was a very sudden change from not trusting him to break into A’s phone. Then again, who can turn down an excuse for cake and ice cream? Not us.
And while we’re at it, what party thrown by high-schoolers would feature a fireworks display that’s so elaborate that it needs to be fired from a lake? (Does Hanna also set up the Macy’s fireworks displays in New York City every year for extra cash?) That’s what happened at this party, as Lucas and Hanna end up in a rowboat ride that is way less serene than the one in that children’s song. (Translation: Life is certainly not but a dream by the end of this episode.)
In fact, by the time the Rowboat of Doom has been capsized by someone grabbing at the oar from under the water (perhaps Mona [Janel Parrish] or Noel [Brant Daugherty]?), we’re reminded less of “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” and more of a certain three-hour tour that stranded Gilligan and the skipper, too. Come to think of it, Lucas is a little like “the professor,” right? (In fact, maybe Lucas didn’t drown, and instead he landed ashore and is off building a laptop out of a coconut shell as we speak.)
Wherein Spencer Hooks Up With Toby (And We Practically Squeal With Delight!)
We were so beyond-excited to see Tob (Keegan Allen)y and Spencer’s (Troian Bellisario) adorable hook-up in the pick-up (seriously, what is with the Liars and making out in vehicles? Raise your standards!), that it was hard to focus on Garrett’s deranged phone rant with Jenna. First, Garrett complains to Jenna about “bringing someone else in,” and then we learn from Garrett that Jenna went to Boston for some reason. What does this all mean? (Maybe Jenna is a huge Celtics fan?)
And then Spencer also makes the shocking discovery that “A” was apparently in her grandma’s lake house attic, given that the markings on the attic wall align with the pic of dolls that Caleb finds on A’s phone. Spencer then gets startled by Lucas randomly entering the attic and suspects that he is “A,” but is he? He didn’t even want to help throw this party in the first place. Plus, we thought nerds were supposed to like action figures, not dolls!
Wherein Emily Learns That Lucas Doesn’t Know the Sound of Her Voice.
Emily (Shay Mitchell) was cracking us up from the very start of the episode with those lines about having glass in her hair. (Just watch — the next thing you know, Lady Gaga will have glass in her hair, too, but on purpose.) And we also loved that Emily defended Aria’s behavior to Ella. (Props to Hanna, too, for giving Ezra a thumbs-up. We just love these girls!)
We thought it was clever that the episode involved Emily serving her community service at a crisis call center, where Emily overhears Lucas saying something cryptic about gaining power, and then he calls back and talks to Em, saying he has to take care of something tonight and that he might never see someone’s face again. The only thing we don’t get is why Emily — given what she then knew — would ever let Lucas out of her sight at the party!
So what exactly was Lucas planning to do on that rowboat? Was he indeed going to hurt Hanna? Or maybe he was going to ask her to marry him, and Hanna inadvertently ruined what would have been the world’s most romantic proposal ever? (We’re hoping for the latter.)
- Lucas becomes an obvious suspect to be working for “A.” But as we mentioned earlier, Lucas didn’t want to help throw the party with Hanna, even though he knew it would give him one-one-one time with her, so maybe he had other plans for that rowboat.
- When Garrett mentions to Jenna that it was her idea to bring someone in, are they talking about working with someone else (say, Lucas perhaps?) as “A”? Or might this be something related to Ali’s murder?
- It’s a mystery as to why Jenna would be headed to Boston, since we can’t remember a previous reference to Boston on the show. Maybe Jenna just got a sudden craving for Boston cream pie? (And not to be insensitive, but we’re guessing Jenna wasn’t actually driving to Boston by herself, right?)
- Mona and Noel — whom we haven’t seen together in quite some time — were awfully eager to invite themselves to Caleb’s surprise party. And it seems like a pretty big coincidence that they happened to both have just been swimming at the exact same time as that big brouhaha in the lake. Suddenly, they’re both big “A” suspects in our books. (Not that they weren’t before.)
- It seems a little odd that Mona would tell the Liars that Lucas and Hanna were in the rowboat if in fact Mona was planning something evil involving the boat. That said, we wouldn’t be surprised if Mona purposefully told the girls that to distract them from whatever plans Mona had up her sleeve. (And let’s face it — Mona always has plans up her sleeve.)
Other Things That Need To Be Discussed:
- Between that shoe (apparently belonging to Lucas) that was fished out of the lake this week, and those muddy sneakers of Lucas’ after he trashed the memorial, it’s safe to say that Lucas needs to take better care of his footwear.
- Spencer may have freaked out that “A” was apparently in her lake house attic to photograph the dolls there (of all places), but we were more freaked out about the thought of having to look at the attic’s tacky floral wallpaper for extended periods of time. Talk about frightening!
- We assume that Byron was unhappy about Aria’s wardrobe choice because of the knee-highs and skimpy outfit, but if it were us, we would have been most opposed to that tarantula necklace that Aria seemingly bought on the cheap from a local Halloween Warehouse.
- We’ve always known that Ezra is the last person under the age of 80 to still have a landline — which is itself a little ridiculous — but this week we see that he owns a flip phone, too? A typewriter is one thing, but a flip phone? Join us over here in 2012, buddy — you’ll like it. (And can’t Caleb just get him a good deal on a new phone?)
Want more Wetpaint Entertainment? For all the latest on Pretty Little Liars, Like us on our Facebook page at facebook.com/PrettyLittleLiarsFansite, or Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/PLLWetpaint.