The Pretty Little Liars powers-that-be love to keep us guessing about the mysterious identity of Rosewood’s resident serial stalker. Our suspect list for “A” includes a lot of people, but there are nine people who we think we can safely say aren’t on the suspect list. Check out our list of who defin`itely isn’t “A” below.
1. Caleb Rivers (Tyler Blackburn): Caleb knows his way around a cell phone, but this teenage dreamboat is 100 percent innocent. Need convincing? In the final scene in Season 2, Episode 19: "The Naked Truth," Caleb was fast asleep when “A” hovered over him and stole his backpack. This sleuth is rarely featured in the same scene as other characters, but now that “A” and Caleb have shared face-time, we can cross him off our suspect list.
2. The Little Liars: Hanna (Ashley Benson), Aria (Lucy Hale), Spencer (Troian Bellisario) and Emily (Shay Mitchell) can all be exonerated of “A”’s crimes. These ladies came face-to-face with their hooded frenemy in Season 2, Episode 14: "Through Many Dangers, Toils, and Snares," and almost caught him/her! Unless one of the little liars hired an actor to play “A” (highly unlikely), we can slash them from the list.
3. Mona Vanderwall (Janel Parrish): Mona proved just how computer savvy she is during Season 2, Episode 19: “The Naked Truth,” but she definitely isn’t our prime suspect. Mona was “A” in the Pretty Little Liars books, but producers and the stars have both confirmed that “A” is “not who is in the books.” Time to go glamping in celebration of her innocence!
4. Ella Montgomery (Holly Marie Combs): Unless Ella has a strange habit of sending herself creepy letters in the mail, she can’t be “A”. Back in Season 1, Episode 4: “Can You Hear Me Now,” “A” sends Ella a note saying that her husband Byron had an affair, which catapults the entire family into upheaval. Thank goodness –– we would be devastated if this #1 mom was a secret creepster.
5. Pam Fields (Nia Peeples): Like Ella, Pam was lucky enough to get some mystery mail from our favorite stalker. In Season 1, Episode 10: “Keep Your Friends Close,” “A” sends Pam an envelope with pictures of Emily and Maya (Bianca Lawson) lip-locked –– which means she was a direct victim of “A”’s meddling ways! Oh, and there’s the fact that Pam doesn’t live in Rosewood anymore.
6. Ashley Marin (Laura Leighton): Ashley might not have a direct connection with “A”, but because of Hannah’s omnipresent stalker, Ash’s illegal loan from the bank could be made public at any moment. If Ash was secretly “A”, she’d be risking her own safety, which seems like a big gamble.
7. Byron Montgomery (Chad Lowe): Mr. Montgomery went through the roof when he found out about Ezria’s sordid love affair, and if he were “A”, he’d have known that Aria was hot for teach since the beginning of Pretty Little Liars. We find it hard to believe that Byron would stand by and let his daughter hook up with Ezra just for the sake of stalking a few teenagers.
8. Ezra Fitz (Ian Harding): First of all, Ezra’s far too busy decorating his room in concert posters and “watching sports” to have time for texting. But let’s not forget that “A” broke into Ezra’s apartment and stole his diploma back in Season 2, Episode 1: “It’s Alive.” Unless Ezra has a thing for sneaking around his own pad, he’s innocent.
9. Toby Cavanaugh (Keegan Allen): Toby’s fallen victim to “A”’s games on more than one occasion, and most recently he plummeted to the ground thanks to “A” unscrewing a bolt on some scaffolding. It seems unlikely that Toby would risk his own life just to keep up the appearance of being innocent.
Are there any other characters that you think make the list?
Be sure to tune in for the next episode of Pretty Little Liars on Monday, February 13 at 8 pm ET/PT on ABC Family.