Thanks to Facebook, Pretty Little Liars fans have a place to theorize and debate the identity of “A” as much as they want. But one suspect in particular caught tons of fans’ attention on the various PLL-devoted pages: Melissa Hastings (Torrey DeVitto).
Three of the most passionate online detectives with “Melissa is ‘A’” theories reached out to us, and explained why they strongly believe that Spencer’s (Troian Bellisario) sometimes-bitchy, always mysterious older sister with a complex history involving Alison (Sasha Pieterse), is the one who tortures our Little Liars. Read their detailed reasons and explanations of why they’re pointing the finger at the MIA PLL sibling.
Wetpaint Entertainment: Why do you think Melissa is “A”?
- At the end of Season 1, Episode 11: “Moments Later,” we see “A” burning a log that had the words "Ali & Ian" carved in it. The fireplace was located in the Hastings’ cabin because in Season 2, Episode 8: “Save the Date,” Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) and Hanna (Ashley Benson) stay at the same cabin, and we see Caleb playing with the EXACT fireplace!
- Melissa hates the girls, especially Alison, because Ali kept flirting with Ian (Ryan Merriman), her then-boyfriend. On the night Ali disappeared we last [Ali] kissing Ian.
- She also said clue words like, Melissa:"Wow. She sure had everybody fooled didn't she?" Spencer: "Alison loved playing games." Melissa: "Maybe that's what got her killed."
- Melissa has a lot of anger towards her sister, certainly a character who might have anger management issues. A filled-in questionnaire from Dr. Sullivan’s office stated that the patient had anger problems and loved revenge.
- Melissa tried to break up Spencer and Alex [in Season 1]. So did “A.” And “A” is trying now to break up Spencer and Toby (Keegan Allen). A says they are most interested in Toby.
- Melissa is very protective over her phone.
- When PLL offered an interview with “A,” “A” said they are the prettiest liar. A male would probably not call themselves pretty.
- Melissa has heart problems and, in the same interview, “A” said he/she wants to do more cardio.
- “A” bought back Melissa's wedding ring. Melissa is an adult and it was her ring. Don't you think Melissa would have wanted it back?
- When everyone used to think Toby killed Alison and that they were dating, Melissa said, "Wow. She sure had everybody fooled didn't she?"
- “A” does not go to Rosewood, but they used to go to Rosewood. How do you think Spencer stole Melissa's exact essay and got the same assignment? Melissa went to Rosewood.
- The “OR SHE DIES” box with the dolls in Season 2, Episode 12: “Over My Dead Body” was right in the middle of Spencer's living room. Melissa lives in that house and could have easily done that.
- In the UK promo all of the voices used were either Spencer, Alison, Hanna, Emily (Shay Mitchell), or Aria (Lucy Hale), but there was one soundbite of Melissa's voice saying, "I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THIS!"
- She could have planted the trophy in the box [in Season 1]. She was the coach's wife, so she was in the school at times. She knew the date and where Ian was. Therefore, she had the information to make that trophy.
- In Season 2, Episode 14: “Through Many Dangers, Toils, and Snares,” Spencer tells Toby that Melissa is out in Philadelphia and is having heart problems. That gave us two more reasons to question Melissa’s actual reason for being “gone” from Rosewood.
- In the Season 2, Episode 16: “Let the Water Hold Me Down” sneak peek it shows the girls reading a receipt. They looked at the address and wondered where the street is, and Hanna says, "Isn't that in Philly?" Melissa might be in Philly,
- One clue from Season 2, Episode 14: “Through Many Dangers, Toils, and Snares” is that Melissa is having therapy. In the interview with “A,” “A” said he or she went to a therapist.
- “A” was been in the Hastings' lake house, and stored the cell phones there. Melissa has easy access to that!
What do you think happened to Melissa? She’s been missing since forever!
Kesha Fan: Part of me believes that Melissa is with her parents and having her helper do the dirty work while she’s on vacation, while another part of me thinks she’s not really there. Philly isn't too far from Rosewood so she has time to drive in once in a while and talk to the helper/spy.
Hanna Marin: I believe that Melissa has been around watching the girls, either that or is working with someone to spy on them for her!
Hanna Rivers: I believe that Melissa is not in Rosewood at this time because she is hiding from the people there. She was the wife of Ian, who they believed was Alison's murder and committed suicide, and the sister of Spencer, who was in jail due to being accused of Alison's murder. The police will probably realize that Melissa is somehow involved with all this drama and crime, so until this "blows over," she is in Philadelphia hiding from people.
Do you think “A” is a group? If so, who else do you think is part of “A”?
Kesha Fan: Spencer said in Season 2, Episode 14: “Through Many Dangers, Toils, and Snares,” to Garrett, "You’re connected to Jenna (Tammin Sursok), and Ian, and Jason (Drew Van Acker)." I think she’s connected to them. In Season 2, Episode 3: “My Name Is Trouble,” Jason called out "Melissa?" when it was Spencer and he soon said that the mail men confused the Hastings mail with their mail which I find almost impossible since both their families have been in the news like 20 billion times. Maybe they've been meeting and talking, and Jason and Ian were in the same club [N.A.T.], and in school Ian gave Jenna a green bag, and we never knew what was in the bag and we may never know.
Hanna Marin: I do. :) I believe that Melissa, Noel (Brant Daugherty), Wren (Julian Morris), Lucas (Brendan Robertson) and possibly Jason are linked together. Especially because of the strange visits Jason received from Melissa!
Hanna Rivers: Yes, I do believe “A” is a group. The people in the group are Jenna, Garrett, Melissa, Ian, and Jason. Jenna is in the group because she wants revenge on the girls for making her blind and knowing about her and Toby's past and the video. Garrett is Jenna's little puppet. I don't know how Garrett and Alison had a connection. However, because he is Jenna's boyfriend, he would do anything for her, such as lying, risking his job, and even hurting others. Ian and Jason were like brothers. They partied that whole summer of Alison's disappearance. They both thought she was a blackmailer, an evil leader, and had too many secrets. They are all probably trying to eliminate the rest of Alison's group.
Do you think Melissa killed Ian?
Kesha Fan: I honestly am unsure.
Hanna Marin: I do not. I believe that Melissa sent her helper to save Spencer's life. Also, it explains all the guilt she seemed to hold back from his death.
Hanna Rivers: It's a coin toss. She was in the hospital when Ian was pushed off the bell tower. However, before the show Spencer left the hospital to go get Melissa's phone, they show Melissa opening her eyes. That could have meant that she was alright and she was faking. Melissa is a very good actor, after all she did have the lead roles in most of the shows at Rosewood High school.
Let’s just say that Melissa ISN’T “A,” who would be your next choice?
Kesha Fan: Gosh, I don’t know.
Hanna Marin: I would definitely have to say Wren or Ezra (Ian Harding)! It's always the one you least expect!
Hanna Rivers: If Melissa wasn't “A,” then I would have to say it was Alison and she is still alive. She knows everything about the girls, so maybe Alison is playing one long-term cruel joke on them, just like she did at Noel's Halloween Party.
To read more from Kesha Fan, visit Pretty Little Liars - Spoilers on Facebook.
To read more from Hanna Marin, visit her Facebook page.
To read more from Hanna Rivers, visit her Facebook page.
Catch an all new episode of Pretty Little Liars tonight, January 16, at 8pm ET/PT on ABC Family.
Get your Pretty Little Liars fix: Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter and Tumblr!