From Day 1, we were drawn to Emily Thorne’s foreboding and tell-tale monologues at the beginning and end of each episode of Revenge.
Her wise words often give away more of what’s going on than you may realize in the moment, but upon further reflection we find that they are laced with clues and warnings.
Here are our 10 favorites:
1. “For the truly wronged, real satisfaction can only be found in one of two places: absolute forgiveness or mortal vindication. This is not a story of forgiveness.” (Episode 1: “Pilot”)
2. “When everything you love has been stolen from you, sometimes all you have left is revenge.” (Episode 1: “Pilot”)
3. “It’s not what you look at that matters, but what you see.” (Episode 14: “Perception”)
4. “And when different perceptions battle against one another, the truth as a way of getting lost. And the monsters find a way of getting out.” (Episode 14: “Perception”)
5. “There comes a moment in each of our lives when the control that keeps us sane slips through our fingers. Most of us aim so seize it back. The best way to fight chaos is with chaos.” (Episode 15: “Chaos”)
6. “Chaos by its very definition cannot controlled. Once introduced, all order and intention is rendered useless. The outcome of chaos can never be predicted.The only certainty it brings is the devastation it leaves in its wake.” (Episode 15: “Chaos”)
7. “Loyalties forged in apprehension and mistrust are tenuous at best, easily broken when held up to the unforgiving light of the truth. But in the darkness of our most desperate hours, it’s often these loyalties that give us the strength to do what we know must be done.” (Episode 16: “Scandal”)
8. “A conflicted heart feeds on doubt and confusion. It will make you question your path, your tactics, your motives. When you stare ahead and darkness is all you see, only reason and determination can pull you back from the abyss.” (Episode 16: “Scandal”)
9. “Doubt is a disease. It infects the mind creating a mistrust of people’s motives and of one’s own perceptions. Doubt has the ability to call into question everything you’ve ever believed about someone and reinforce the darkest suspicions of our inner circles.” (Episode 17: “Doubt”)
10. “In society, women are referred to as the fairer sex. But in the wild, the female species can be far more ferocious than their male counterparts. Defending the nest is both our oldest and strongest instinct. And sometimes it can also be the most gratifying.” (Episode 17: “Doubt”)
Be sure to watch Revenge’s newest episode “Justice” on Wednesday, April 25 on ABC at 10 p.m. ET.