‘The Walking Dead’ 2015 Schedule: Season 5 Episodes List, Season 6 Filming Dates & More
Break out your 2015 calendar, 'cause it's time to start marking more dates with The Walking Dead intel!
We’re not rushing 2014 out the door or anything, but filming just started on the Season 5 finale, which means the Walking Dead year is winding down. Last year, we put together a rough schedule of events for 2014 and it worked out fairly well, so we’re doing the same thing for 2015, based on what AMC and the cast/crew have done in the past for the show's 16-episode seasons.
The schedule could change in significant ways when official announcements are made, but here's a rough idea of what you can at least pencil in for the rest of 2014 and beyond.
• Season 5 Filming Ends: Season 5 just started filming the Episode 16 finale around November 12. Last year, Season 4 finished filming on Friday, November 22, 2013. Scott Gimple tweeted late that night, "That's S4 picture wrap. Thx 2 the amazing crew, cast, writers, producers, casting & post peeps 4 the inspiration, excellence, & fake blood." Episodes usually take about eight working days to shoot but premieres/finales can take a bit longer, but Season 5 will finish filming in late November. Then they do post-production, editing, etc., but there’s usually a wrap party in Georgia and then the cast gets to go home.
• Episode 6: “Consumed” airs Sunday, November 16
• Episode 7: "Crossed" airs Sunday, November 23
• Episode 8 (midseason finale): "Coda" airs Sunday, November 30
• Episode 9/Back Half Teases: Hopefully The Powers That Be give us some intel on what’s to come in the final eight episodes, which start airing in early February.
• Episode Titles: In the second week of January 2013, former showrunner Glen Mazzara confirmed the episode titles for the second half of Season 3. We had to wait a little longer for deets on the second half of Season 4; we got the title for Episode 9, "After," in late January, then the other titles were issued a bit after that.
• Writing: During Season 4 filming, producers said the writers had been working on scripts since January. In early February 2013, comic book writer/executive producer Robert Kirkman said, “We're on our second week of writing. We’re knee deep in it and we start filming in May."
Episode 9: airs Sunday, February 8
Episode 10: airs Sunday, February 15
Episode 11: airs Sunday, February 22
Episode 12: airs Sunday, March 1
Episode 13: airs Sunday, March 8
Episode 14: airs Sunday, March 15
Episode 15: airs Sunday, March 22
Episode 16 (finale): airs Sunday, March 29
Season 6 Pre-Production: The crew may start returning to Georgia in March with production most likely based in Senoia, which should be the location of the Alexandria Safe-Zone.
Season 6 Production: The cast usually heads to Georgia in mid-to-late April to prep before filming starts.
Season 6 Filming Starts: Season 5 started filming on Monday, May 5 and they finished the first episode on Thursday, May 15. That seems to be the usual schedule for the 16-episode seasons. David Morrissey told The A.V. Club episodes are usually eight-day shoots (not including weekends) and the cast gets the next episode's script four days into the shoot, "so on that fourth day, we all disappear to our trailer and read the next episode." Season 4 started filming on Monday, May 6. So, at the risk of being off, we'll guess Season 6 filming will start on Monday, May 3.
First photo from Season 5 Premiere: AMC shared the first official photo from Season 5, Rick peeking out of the Terminus train car from the S5 premiere, on May 13.
More Filming: Filming will continue and The Powers That Be may share vague teases in various interviews. By now we should also have more information on the spinoff/companion series. Maybe it will even premiere around this time!
Behind-the-scenes Videos: On July 1, AMC shared two behind-the-scenes production videos with Season 5 footage and the cast and crew discussing the premiere. Hopefully they do something like that for Season 6. We were even luckier the year before, since we got the title of the Season 4 premiere (30 Days Without an Accident) in early July.
San Diego Comic-Con: Expect lots of news about Season 5 to come out of San Diego Comic-Con, which is scheduled for July 12, 2015.
Season 6 Premiere Date and Trailer: At this past summer's Comic-Con, the Season 5 premiere date was confirmed and, on July 25, we got the lengthy Season 5 trailer with footage from the first six episodes.
So it's a fairly safe bet to think Season 5 will be released in late August, possibly Tuesday, August 25, 2015.
Premiere title: We didnt get the Season 5 title until late August, when TVLine revealed Season 5, Episode 1 would be called "No Sanctuary."
Mid-Season Finale Filming: The Episode 8 midseason finale is usually filmed in early to mid-August.
Filming and Spoilers: General intel was released and more episodes filmed for the second half of the season.
Season 6 Premiere: Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 all premiered in October, and AMC should be sticking with the undead timeframe for Season 6. TWD Season 1 premiered on Halloween 2010. Season 2 kicked off on October 16, 2011. Season 3 premiered on October 14, 2012. Season 4 premiered on Sunday, October 13, 2013. Season 5 premiered Sunday, October 12, 2014. So we'll throw down the guess that Season 6 will premiere on Sunday, October 11, 2015. Circle the date now! And uncircle it later, if they don't go for it.
Season 6 Filming Ends: Rinse. Repeat. If AMC and the producers stick to their usual 16-episode schedule, filming for Season 6 should wrap up at the end of November 2015.
And by the way, we were right! The Walking Dead Season 6 premieres Sunday, October 11 at 9 p.m. ET on AMC.
Check out more of Wetpaint’s coverage of The Walking Dead Season 6 below:
What Happens Next on TWD Season 6?
Find Out Who’s Dying on TWD Season 6
Intriguing News for Three Walking Dead Stars!
Wanna Date Norman Reedus? This Is Your Chance!
Rumor Patrol: Is Andy Lincoln Leaving TWD?