Dancing With the Stars Season 19 is months away, but that doesn't mean we can't start thinking about what we want to see from the next installment of the show. Season 18 was a delightful season, and there's a lot we hope the show learns from it — but also a few things we'd like to see changed.
Here are the top five things on our wish-list for next year!
1. Experienced guest judges. We really liked the addition of a fourth guest judge for most of Season 18; it shook things up. But we liked it a whole heck of a lot more when the judges actually knew a thing or two about dancing. We want to see the show keep the guest judge format, but focus on bringing in former pros, other dance professionals, and maybe some former stars, who at least can offer advice about the Dancing With the Stars experience. We don't need stunt casting like Redfoo (perfectly nice, also perfectly useless), and we certainly don't want to see any more Abby Lee Miller types. We want judges who are there to judge, not cause controversy.
2. Bring the focus back to ballroom and latin. We'd really like to see more emphasis put on the core ballroom and latin styles, especially in the early weeks. Jazz and Contemporary can be fun now and then, but those aren't styles the pros are necessarily proficient in, and it's really hard to get a sense of how a star is progressing in this ballroom competition show when they don't even have a traditional ballroom style until what can be weeks into the competition.
3. Disney Night! Disney Night was freaking awesome. It was a feel good theme that still allowed the stars and pros to tackle traditional ballroom and latin styles, which is perfect. We hope the show keeps it forever — though honestly, they could lose the forced animation bit.
4. Shake up the pro lineup! We're not calling for a total revamp, because we love the pros we have now. Still, there is a lot of talent in the troupe, and we'd love to see some of those dancers get a chance to shine as teachers. Maybe it's time for some of the really long running pros to take a season off?
5. Show us more of the dress rehearsals! Even since we were given a glimpse of the expletive heavy dress rehearsals during the finale, we've wanted to see more. Maybe a "best of" montage every week? Seriously, show, that would be amazing, and not just because we like seeing Tom Bergeron curse. In general, we'd like to get a better look into the backstage life of the stars and pros. The glimpses we are given always makes them seem more human, and are often hilarious, to boot!
What's on your Dancing With the Stars Season 19 wish list? Let us know in the comments below.