Nashville had a home run with this week's Season 2, Episode 8: "Hanky Panky Woman," which put the focus on the music production side of things, thanks to Rayna's neverending war with Jeff. It looks like Season 2, Episode 9: "I'm Tired of Pretending" will switch things up — at least if the promo is anything to go by.
So what can we look forward to when the show returns after Thanksgiving? We've taken a close look at the promo to see what it reveals.
1. Watch out for Layla. Layla Grant sat this week out, but it looks like she's back in a big way in Episode 9. The promo opens with a voiceover warning the "Queens of Country" (Rayna and Juliette, who would probably be thrilled to be given that title) that the "princess is after the throne." Um, no thanks, Layla. Please apply again after you get a less terrible personality.
2. Layla gives herself an encore. Layla's not just ambitious — next episode, she makes a move, giving herself an encore song during one of her performances on Juliette's tour. Spoiler alert: Juliette is not amused.
3. What do people see in Layla? At :09, we see Juliette, exasperated at a bar, ask Will what everyone sees in "her," the her in question presumably being Layla. We're not convinced her fake boyfriend will know the answer, but hey. Maybe he and Juliette can commiserate about how much Layla sucks.
4. Juliette retaliates. Indeed, in a shot at :11, we see Juliette tell Layla she's going to "sit this one out." Is she focing Layla to miss out on a show? It looks like it, since she's literally grabbing a mic out of Layla's hand at the time.
5. That's not the only fued. Those "dueling divas" aren't the only ones fighting: apparently Deacon and Teddy get into it over Maddie, causing Rayna to actually have to sit them down to be lectured, as we see at :13.
6. Maddie and Deacon play together. What prompts the fight? We're not positive, but we're guessing it has something to do with Maddie and Deacon playing a song together (aww) at :14.
7. Teddy tells Peggy. At :15, Peggy, watching said performance, comments that she didn't realize Deacon and Maddie were "that close." At :16, Teddy explains to her that "Deacon's Maddie's biological father."
8. Fight! At :19, Teddy grabs Deacon by the collar and shouts at him, "You are not her father!" Rayna and Maddie see it happen, and Maddie has to snap "Stop it!" What do you think makes Teddy go on the attack? Does Maddie call Deacon her dad on stage? Does crazy Peggy put bad ideas in Teddy's head?
9. Maddie is really upset. At :20 we see Rayna comforting her daughter.
10. An ultimatum? At the end of the promo, we see Rayna, in the sitdown mentioned above, tell both men, "It might be a good idea for her not to have a relationship with either one of you." Since we doubt that Rayna would just cut both men out of Maddie's life like that, our guess is there is more to this sentence. Perhaps it starts with something like, "If you two are incapable of getting along..."
Check it out for yourself below: