Read on for speculation about why or why not Arya might die next week — no spoilers included!
1. She’s a Stark. Just like we mentioned with Jon Snow, it’s been a whole season since a Stark was killed off. For a family that’s already lost Ned, Cat, Robb, and Talisa, aren’t the Starks due for another death?
2. The odds are against her. As tough as she seems, Arya is still basically a kid on her own. Sure, she has the Hound, but when we last saw him he was walking considerably slower thanks to his festering bite wound. If he should fall in the finale, we don’t like her odds on her own.
3. She goes looking for trouble. Arya has a habit of mixing it up with people she shouldn’t, and sooner or later that’s going to come back to bite her. Might the finale be when she messes with the wrong person?
1. Her arc has gone nowhere. This season, Arya hasn’t done much. She got her sword back and scratched a few very minor names off her list, but other than that she’s just wandered the countryside with the Hound, learning how to be more ruthless. The entire season has felt like an exercise in character-building for her, so if we don’t see some payoff for that in Season 5, then what was the point?
2. The author’s wife forbade it. Arya is the favorite character of many fans, perhaps most notably the wife of A Song of Ice and Fire author George R. R. Martin, Parris. Parris supposedly has told George he’s not allowed to kill off Arya, and even George wouldn’t go against the wishes of his beloved. Right?
3. She’s just a kid. While GoT is famous for killing everybody, we haven’t seen the show actually execute a kid yet. We’ve seen children who were already dead, and Bran got pushed out of a window and survived, but no kid who’s a main character has been killed on screen, unless you count Joffrey, but he was aged up a lot (and also more of a monster than a kid). We don’t think that trend is going to change with Arya.
Do you think Arya will die? Sound off in the comments below!