With HBO’s release of the new 15 minute preview, Game of Thrones Ice and Fire: A Foreshadowing, we are treated to a plethora of new footage. So what do we learn about the new season from this footage? Here’s our rundown.
1. Arya fights with a sword. At 0:17 in the video, we see Arya cut someone down with a sword. Though this sword appears to be larger than the thin-looking one, which we presume to be Needle, that we’ve noticed her wielding in previously released footage from Season 4. Perhaps this is how she gets Needle back?
2. Bronn fights Jaime. At 0:19, and again at 12:45, we see Bronn and Jaime squaring off in a sword fight. This hardly seems fair, considering that Jaime is one-handed, and we don't really know why they'd be fighting, so maybe there’s more going on here than meets the eye.
3. Oberyn Martell is anti-Lannister. The show can always use more enemies for the Lannisters! It seems newcomer Oberyn Martell straight up hates the Royal Family, with showrunner David Benioff saying at 3:14, “I think Oberyn’s go beyond disdain and to hatred.” Get excited.
4. The Royal Wedding Occurs. Joffrey says plainly at 4:34, at what looks to be the reception, “The Royal Wedding... Is history.” Congrats to the newlyweds?
5. Dany’s a ruler. Description of Dany’s throne room begins at 5:30, with Emilia Clarke stating, “My throne room is a mini tropical version of the Westeros throne room.” So with Dany in charge in Slaver’s Bay, does that mean she’ll have an easy road ahead of her? Doesn’t sound like it, as Emilia adds at 5:59, “The cities that Dany has previously liberated are starting to revolt.”
6. Brienne bites off someone’s ear. Gwendoline Christie says at 9:00, “The most weird thing I’ve had to do this season is to bite off a man’s ear and spit it in his face!” Hopefully it’s not Jaime!
7. Multiple Climaxes. Get your mind out of the gutter! Showrunner D.B. Weiss says at 12:47, “It’s not building towards one specific climactic event, there are more climactic events in Deason 4 then there have ever been before.”
8. The dragons... are... awesome. If you only watch one thing from the video (which would be insane, but whatever) make it the shot of Drago at 14:05. Someone’s gotten big!