We've been hearing about a possible wildling attack on the Wall since Game of Thrones Season 1, and in Season 4, Episode 9, "The Watchers on the Wall" it will finally go down.
What can we expect from the big attack? The promo for the episode gives us some clues:
1. Ygritte and Jon. The promo begins with a voiceover: "Love is the death of duty." At the same time, we're shown shots of Jon Snow (Kit Harington) and Ygritte (Rose Leslie). Will their love for each other prevent them from performing their duties? Will they meet again on the battlefield? It certainly seems like their story isn't over yet...
2. Fires. At :07 we see Jon looking out from the Wall, where he sees a ton of fire. It's hard to tell if the wildlings have started a fire or if this is just the many campfires of Mance's army, but either way, it's not looking good for the Night's Watch.
3. It's time! At :09 we hear a horn blow, and then Styr says, "It's time." So it appears the Night's Watch is facing a coordinated attack between Mance's army north of the Wall, and the advance scouts from the south.
4. Alliser Thorne's speech. We're no fans of Alliser Thorne, but he makes a decent rousing speech at :15, declaring, "Tonight, we fight! And when the sun rises I promise you, Castle Black will stand!" Yeah, good luck with that, guys.
5. And fight they do. The promo is filled with shots of battle. It looks like this is going to be a riveting fight; even in these brief moments we see some pretty cool and brutal moments. Love Jon kicking a wildling at :20.
6. Even Sam fights! Maybe we'll see more of Sam the Slayer, since he's holding a crossbow at :26.
Check it out yourself here: