Castle’s Season 5 finale left fans in a total state of panic. After much thought, Castle decided to meet with Beckett and ask her, quite possibly the most important question of his life. Dropping to one knee, our favorite mystery writer asked Kate if she would marry him, and before we even had a moment to digest the question (much like Beckett), the screen went dark. While this grandiose display may have left tons of Castle fans (including us) completely in shock, for actor Nathan Fillion, this was the next logical step.
“No, it doesn’t shock me that we were shocking people,” Nathan told TVLine reporters. “It’s not a shock for me.”
Nathan went on to describe the moment as a maturing point for his character, one that he wanted to convey as being serious and a part of Castle’s growth.
“... Making a choice to be with someone for the rest of your life, that doesn’t just happen. That is an adult choice you have to make. That is some growing up you have to do. So I wanted to treat it as though it was a serious thing for Castle,” Nathan said.
Of course, with the abrupt way the finale ended, many fans have speculated that Beckett’s answer had already been filmed— to continue the flow for acting purposes. However, Nathan denies that Kate’s response has already been shot.
“No. We did not shoot the answer,” Nathan told TVLine. Not only did they not shoot the answer, Nathan has no clue as to what it will be.
“I have no idea, not a one. I’ve not had one email, not one discussion, not a phone call about where things are going, what’s going to happen. So I can’t even spoil anything by accident!”
No worries. Nathan’s co-star, Molly Quinn, dished that the cast will be back in the studios for filming beginning on July 9. After that, let’s hope Nathan does let something good slip!