Soy Sauce Overdose: Teen Almost Dies From Dare Gone Really, Really Wrong
Credit: iStockphoto/Thinkstock    


Soy Sauce Overdose: Teen Almost Dies From Dare Gone Really, Really Wrong

After reading this, you may never look at your bottle of Kikkoman the same way again.

The latest issue of The Journal of Emergency Medicine reports that a 19-year-old boy who drank an entire bottle (a full quart) of soy sauce on a dare nearly died from ingesting the condiment.

According to the university newspaper, The Cavalier Daily, the incident happened two years ago, and the unidentified teen was dared to drink the sauce as part of a fraternity initiation at the University of Virginia. He began having seizures and foaming at the mouth, and was rushed to the emergency room.

The journal states that the patient then slipped into a coma. The physician who treated the young man, Dr. David J. Carlberg, says the coma was a result of hypernatremia (too much salt in the blood). He was treated with sugar water, which helps rid the body of the excess salt.

Fortunately, three days later, the young man came out of the coma, and he is extremely lucky he didn’t have any lasting effects from the sodium spike.

“The patient's peak serum sodium was 196 mmol/L, which, to our knowledge, is the highest documented level in an adult patient to survive an acute sodium ingestion without neurologic deficits,” the journal article authors stated.

The fraternity in question, the University of Virginia's Zeta Psi chapter, was closed for some time but has now been reinstated.

Source: The Journal of Emergency Medicine, The Cavalier Daily

Want more Wetpaint Moms? Like us on our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter!

06.7.2013 / 12:00 AM EDT by Leslie Pandey
Related: Moms, Health

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0