Ryan Lochte is many things: an Olympic swimmer, an aspiring shoe designer, a pop culture novelty, and — lets face it — the man looks fantastic shirtless.
Plus, women love him. So when Ryan boasted on April 22 that he’d turned down requests to do ABC’s The Bachelor, many people simply accepted his claim as fact. After all, who wouldn’t want to watch this crazy character look for love?
As it turns out, ABC wouldn’t. Bachelor producer Robert Mills announced on Twitter that ABC “never offered” Ryan the show. That’s two very different versions of the same story. So what actually happened?
Wetpaint Entertainment spoke exclusively with an insider at The Bachelor, and you want to know their response? Laughter. Ryan’s claims, we’re told, are “completely untrue.”
The show insider tells us that Ryan was NEVER offered the show. They simply did not think that he has enough intelligence or charisma to make it work.
On top of that, no one on the show thought that Ryan actually wanted to get married or find love. To them, he seemed to only be in it for the fame. Plus, at the time rumors of Ryan as the Bachelor first appeared, the 28-year-old was still appearing in the Olympics, which last year aired on NBC. We’re told that The Bachelor prefers to promote their own stars from ABC. Going after Ryan just doesn’t makes sense.
So why would Ryan even bring up shows like The Bachelor in the first place? Simple: He’s got his own TV series to promote. His new reality show, What Would Ryan Lochte Do? premiered on E! this Sunday.
Who knows, perhaps Ryan might be able to find love on his reality series. But there will be no roses involved, no exotic Thailand proposals and no Chris Harrison to guide him on a journey of love. It’s not going to happen — and it never was going to, from the sound of things.