Sure, it helps to have her clear olive skin and dark, sultry features, but the smoky eye is a trick every girl can adopt as long as she knows how. Here’s how to get a smoky eye like Francia’s:
1. Prep the eyelid. A critical part of dramatic eye makeup is keeping the shadow from creasing. The best way to do this is to start with a primer on the lid. Try
2. Line the eyes. If you’ve got small eyes, avoid lining the lower lashline - it will just make your eyes look smaller. On the top lip, liquid liner looks the most dramatic but pencil works well too, especially for beginners who don’t want to tear their hair out or the uncoordinated who struggle to draw a straight line. Whichever product you use, try to get one thick stroke, right next to the lash line.
Pro Tip: If you have fair skin, try a brown or gray pencil; it adds more dimension than jet black and won’t look as makeup-y.
3. Sweep a shimmery base color over the lid, up to the browbone. The darker your skin tone, the darker base color you can get away with. Make sure you blend, blend, blend at the lashline, so the shadow and the liner appear united.
4. Add the “smoky” effect. Apply shadow a few shades darker than your base from the lashline to the crease, blending outward as you go, being sure to keep the dark shadow below the crease.
5. Curl eyelashes.
6. Apply a few coats of dark mascara. Allow coats to dry in between applications to ensure that lashes appear thick and dark.
Try these products to get the look!