While many were probably hoping to see a guy win season five of The Voice in order to end the two-season streak of female victors, no one could deny that Tessanne Chin earned the crown. In fact, although she didn’t show up on some fans’ radars until about mid-season, she’s dominated during the performance shows for many weeks now. In the end, we knew she’d be the last woman standing, and here are our five reasons Tessanne deserved to win:
1. She was nothing if not consistent. While others faltered and had a few missteps here and there throughout the season, Tessanne was on an even keel of awesomeness (oh, yes, it’s true).
2. Tessanne was the only one who reached #1 on iTunes this season, and she did it not once, but twice. Last week, her moving rendition of “Bridge Over Troubled Water” shot her to #1. This week, her powerful take on Whitney Houston’s “I Have Nothing” also secured that top spot. When considering she was up against established artists like Lady Gaga and The Voice’s own Christina Aguilera, that’s certainly impressive.
3. She’s given her life’s blood to music. While some contestants have expressed interest in pursuing higher education and taking other routes in life, Tessanne has been following her passion for music her whole life. It’s amazing to see someone who has given so much to make it in the music industry finally attain her goals.
4. Tessanne was the model student. She took in coach’s Adam Levine’s coaching and guidance like a sponge and the result showed onstage, week after week.
5. The reggae fusion artist will breathe new life into the music industry with her unique style. While Danielle Bradbery and Cassadee Pope are undeniably talented, the country music thing has a “been there, done that” feel to it right now, particularly when it comes to these reality shows.
What do you think? Did Tessanne Chin deserve to win The Voice 2013? Sound off in the comments!