Toddler Dies When TV and Dresser Fall on Top of Him: A Tragic Reminder For Parents
Credit: iStockphoto/Thinkstock    


Toddler Dies When TV and Dresser Fall on Top of Him: A Tragic Reminder For Parents

In an extremely tragic story out of Texas, police say a toddler has died because an unsecured television and dresser fell on top of him.

San Antonio Medical Examiners say that 3-year-old Elias Rodriguez was in his family home when he apparently climbed atop a dresser that had a television on top of it. Both items fell on top of the toddler. Elias was airlifted to the nearest hospital, where he died of the injuries he sustained.

The San Antonio Police say the boy was at home with at least one parent when the incident took place. Police says detectives will investigate the matter further, but for now, they are ruling the incident an accident.

As tragic as this event is, it’s a chilling reminder to parents that all heavy objects and pieces of furniture should be firmly secured whenever a toddler is present. Each year, about 43,000 people are injured from accidents involving furniture tipping over, and approximately 25,000 of these (60%) involve children, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Officer Carl Bischoff with the SAPD says, “Just remember if you have a large TV up, secure it somehow, if you’ve got a child around make sure they’re not climbing up on these tall dressers. These are an accident waiting to happen.”

Source: KHOU 11

Want more Wetpaint Moms? Like us on our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter!

07.19.2013 / 12:00 AM EDT by Teddie McCormick
Related: Moms, General News

Share on Facebook0Share on Google+0Tweet about this on Twitter0