You know what the Ugly Cry is: an absolutely devastating display of facial waterworks, marked by a scrunched-up face, dripping snot, and basically any other unflattering side effect of crying. It may seem mean to break down the best ugly cries in Hollywood, but after all, crying is ugly in real life too — so really, we're just giving out acting props.
Our buddies at ClevverTV shared their top 5 celebrity ugly cries — disqualifying reality stars, because otherwise Kim Kardashian would take up at least three spots. We'll break 'em down below, but for more details — and to watch the cries themselves! — peep the video above.
5. Claire Danes on Homeland. "I really have never been concerned about being beautiful on screen," said Claire of her famous scrunched-up baby cry-face on the series. "That's just not my jam."
4. Rose Byrne in Bridesmaids. Helen Harris III, rival of Kristen Wiig's Annie Walker, busts out a pretty legendary ugly cry when she needs Annie's help.
3. Jennifer Lawrence in Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Even J-Law herself says that Katniss's face when she thought Peeta was dead "would make a great gif."
2. James Van Der Beek in Dawson's Creek. They timed it: It takes Dawson .0029 seconds to start ugly-crying after Joey leaves him for Pacey. This is an ugly cry-face so legendary that it spurred the ‘90s Problems meme.
1. Lucy Hale on Pretty Little Liars. When Lucy's character Aria Montgomery learns that the love of her life might just be the big-bad of the series, her anger — and her ugly cry — are well-deserved.
Honorable mentions to go to Nina Dobrev, who didn't make the cut because she has the "prettiest ugly cry" ever, and Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables.
Do you agree with Clevver's top 5 ugly cries? Let us know your picks in the comments!