Our hearts burst with joy, rainbows, and mermaid tails when we learned Phoebe Tonkin would be joining The Vampire Diaries. As one of our favorite witches on The Secret Circle, Phoebe
delivered some of the show’s best lines and got steamy with multiple hotties. Basically, we hope her TVD character, Hayley, channels Faye Chamberlain.
But since we know so little about what Phoebs will be up to in Mystic Falls, we thought you should get to know the actress first. Here are 10 essentials about the lovely lady who’s coming to steal some boyfriends. (Probably.)
1. She’s an Aussie. The Sydney native made her first television appearance in the Australian teen show H2O: Just Add Water as mermaid Cleo Sertori. Check out her accent in the video below! (She perfected her American accent by watching reruns of The O.C., she tells Nylon.)
2. Model behavior: At 5’10”, Phoebe is tall enough — and gorgeous enough — to be a model. It’s no wonder she’s strutted her stuff in tons of magazines and catalogs.
3. Shakespearean thespian: Don’t let the mermaid past fool you. Phoebe is a serious actress! She attended the prestigious Queenwood School in Balmoral and won a 2005 state final during their Shakespeare festival.
4. Grounded: Phoebe told Teen Vogue that she’d love to be able to fly, because she hates airplanes. Too bad that broom thing never took off on TSC, eh Phoebe?
5. Animal lover: It’s practically a requirement that the TVD cast love animals, so it’s a good thing they hired Phoebe. She has an adorable cat and a couple of pups.
6. She never had an awkward phase: Despite what she claims, Phoebe was an adorable adolescent, glitter scrunchies and all.
7. Great genes: Phoebe tweeted a photo of her mom (or “mum,” for the Aussies out there) on the Secret Circle set, and it’s easy to see where the actress gets her looks from.
8. Dance machine: In her spare time, Phoebe takes ballet classes. She’ll definitely fit right in with the crew in Atlanta!
9. Health nut: Between her green smoothies, coconut water, and ballet, Phoebe is uber health conscious.
10. Claire Holt (Rebekah) is her bestie: These two are so stinkin’ cute. They met on the set of H2O: Just Add Water and have been close ever since.