Oh, happy day! Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev (Elena Gilbert) celebrates the big 2-4 today, January 9. In honor of her 24th birthday, we compiled reasons why we love the Bulgarian beauty.
1. She’s worldly. Nina is Bulgarian-born, Canadian-bred, and now lives in Atlanta, GA.
2. Her awesome Twitter photos. A cat, with a leash, riding on a man’s head? Now we’ve seen everything.
3. She used to play Mia Jones on Degrassi: The Next Generation. And don’t even tell us you don’t think that’s cool!
4. Practical jokester: Nina fooled us all by tweeting she was getting married. It turns out her new love is an adorable tiger. Good one, girl.
5. She wants to get some action! Nina told fans in China that she wants to be a Bond girl. How cool is that?
6. She speaks three languages. Which ones? Bulgarian, French, and English, natch.
8. She’s a good role model. Seriously! Here are a ton of reasons why.
9. She gives back. Nina and her Degrassi cast mates once built a school in Kenya through Free the Children. She also co-hosted Free the Children’s We Day with pop star Joe Jonas in 2011.
10. She still gets star-struck. When Nina met Olympian Gabby Douglas, she could barely contain her excitement.
11. She’s not afraid of a little PDA. Even in public, she’ll still knock her boy some sugar.
12. She’s health conscious but doesn’t go overboard. Nina believes in all things in moderation, but she is ridiculously into yoga and cites it as the main way she keeps her slim physique.
13. Her quotes of the day. Nina is an avid tweeter, and she often posts inspirational picture quotes of the day, such as, “Express the courage to speak that which you know yet the humility to hear that which you do not know.” Deep, girl!
14. She introduced us to the wonder of burgers with... tartar sauce. We’ll never be the same.
15. She loves her mama. Aw! Motherly love.
16. Her co-stars love her. Or are obsessed with her. Whatever.
17. She seems like a cool chick. Look how much fun she has goofing around on set!
18. She’s dedicated to her craft. Case-in-point: She played two characters — Elena and her evil vampire doppelganger Katherine — for over a year. The price? Many, many sleepless nights. The result? Awesome TV.
19. She’s still friends with her ex. Thus proving she’s a class act.
20. And last but certainly not least, her hair always looks soft and shiny. (She swears by hair masks!)
21. She’s got a great sense of humor. Gorgeous and funny. We’re not jealous at all.
22. She’s super friendly. She even got an award for it!
23. Her fashion sense. A budding trend-setter, Nina made her mark on the fashion world this year.
24. Animal lover. Nina adores her cats, which makes her A-OK in our book.