Matt Donovan (Zach Roerig) might be one of the (only) regulars in Mystic Falls who isn’t in on the supernatural dramz — but we don’t think that makes him any less awesome (or adorable!)
Zach recently did an interview with Zap2It and shared all the marvelous qualities Matt brings to MF:
- First off, what fun are secrets without someone to keep them from? Without Matt’s character, the show would lose its element of humanity — and come off more like a show that should air late night on the Sci Fi channel, not on prime time TV. And Zach doesn’t mind his lack of supernatural abilities. "I must say that I am honored to hold down the human fort in Mystic Falls," Zach says.
- His humanity makes his character so multi-dimensional — and unpredictable. "Matt's strength and weakness are the same," Zach says. "He doesn't know about the vampires. So he could think he's like superman, and then get his neck broken." Sounds painful — but it would make for good TV!
- He’s mature. Remember how he greeted Stefan (who was obvi making googly eyes at his ex, Elena?) “Hi, I’m Matt. Nice to meet you.” Where were the boys like that when we were in high school?
- Love triangles = TV gold. Would you really watch week after week if the Stelena/Delena romances were all that was going on in Mystic Falls? (Okay — don’t answer that.) But it does make things two times more interesting when we’ve got some other love triangles a-brewing: Matt, Caroline and Tyler for example. And things are only going to get more exciting between these three during the second half of the season! “He's probably going to discover some weird habits of Caroline and Tyler," Zach teases.
- The directors have totes set him up to um, go crazy, eventually. Matt’s had to deal with multiple deaths. That’s a tough pill to swallow! "Everyone knows Matt's going to snap," Zach says. "If Matt was let in on the fact that there are vampires, and all the other craziness that's going on, that's a lot — to find out his sister was killed, and it was covered up by his friends. His original girlfriend that he loved was involved, his second girlfriend was involved and now she's messing with a werewolf — that's a lot to process." Got that right!
Other reasons to love Matt: He’s a “grounding force” on the show. He doesn’t need glittery trinkets to survive. Everybody likes him. Oh, and he’s hot (but that’s a given.)