Tyreese (played by former The Wire actor Chad Coleman) was first introduced on The Walking Dead show in Season 3. The character is a huge fan favorite from the comic books, so viewers are super-hyped to see how closely his storyline will play out on the small screen in comparison to the comic books.
So far, there’ve been some big departures from the comics, but executive producer Robert Kirkman told TVLine, that Tyreese’s on-screen story line will stay close to the one in the comics. That being said, one of the biggest questions about Tyreese is if he will die this season — and if so, how?
He's still reeling from his girlfriend Karen's brutal death, and when he finds out that Carol Peletier (Melissa McBride) killed her, there's no telling how he'll take this bombshell.
Here are five quick facts to know about one of Team Prison’s standout residents:
1. Tyreese is a zombie apocalypse survivor who was first discovered with his own crew (which includes his sister Sasha) in the prison by Rick and Rick’s crew. After a weird incident with Rick (and RIck’s hallucinations), Tyreese and team flee over to Woodbury. By the end of Season 3, Tyreese is faced with choosing The Governor or Rick, and ends up choosing Rick. We’d say that was the right choice.
2. Many viewers were initially confused by the relationship between Tyreese and Sasha.We now know that Sasha is not his daughter or his girlfriend, but his younger sister. This season Sasha’s life hangs in the balance after she gets sick, but we know the actress who plays her, Sonequa Martin-Green, was just promoted to a series regular, so a simple cold might not off Sash just yet. Who knows, she might just outlive her brother!
3. Speaking of girlfriends, Tyreese was dating Karen (from Woodbury), but their relationship ended abruptly when Tyreese discovered her charred body outside of the prison. Not an ideal way to find out you’ve broken up.
4. Tyreese has three trademarks: his beanie, a ribbed tank top, and his weapon of choice: a hammer. The Season 4 premiere, “30 Days Without an Accident”, is actually the first episode where Tyreese is seen without one of these items — his beanie!
5. Tyreese appears to be lethal with both hands. Observant viewers have noticed he strikes his hammer with his right hand and shoots guns with his left, but that’s not to say his left and right hands are equally proficient. Tyreese’s aim is nowhere near as accurate with a gun as it is with the hammer, which is one way he’s just like his comic book character.
If you want to know all about Tyreese in the comic books (warning: there are TONS of spoilers!), click here.
See what Tyreese is up to on The Walking Dead Season 4, which airs on Sunday nights at 9 p.m. ET on AMC.
Want more juicy TWD deets? Click here for the latest Walking Dead spoilers!