Who Was Gia Allemand? 5 Things to Know About the Late Bachelor Pad Star
It's a sad day for Bachelor Nation. Gia Allemand, The Bachelor Season 14 and Bachelor Pad Seasons 1 and 2 contestant, died at the age of 29 on Wednesday, August 14, 2013, E! Online reports. Her family released the following statement:
"On behalf of the family, we kindly ask for privacy at this time." No further information is available at this time.
For those unfamiliar with Gia, we’ve rounded up five things to know about the Bachelor favorite, focusing on five quirky facts that made her one of the franchise's most memorable stars.
1. She started her career as a Gerber Baby. The talented model started her career with Johnson & Johnson ads and appeared as a Gerber Baby. From there, she won a few bikini contests and modeled for Maxim.
2. Gia wasn’t her real name. Gia’s real name was Gina Maria Allemand — Gia was just a nickname.
3. Her season of The Bachelor had a fun name.Gia competed on The Bachelor Season 14, which had an official title of The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love (because Jake Pavelka was a pilot, of course).
4. She was dating an NBA player who's a foot and a half taller than her. Gia’s beau of two years, New Orleans Pelicans player Ryan Anderson, stands at 6’10”, while she was a mere 5’5”.
5. She was a city girl. Gia was born in Howard Beach, Queens, and lived in New York City. She moved away for college, studying at the University of Hartford in Connecticut, and resided in New Orleans with longtime boyfriend Ryan for a year at the time of her passing.
Our thoughts go out to Gia's friends and family at this difficult time.
Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.