Who Is James Maslow? 6 Things to Know About Dancing With the Stars Season 18 Celeb
You may have heard the squeals when James Maslow was announced as one of the 12 celeb competitors on Dancing With the StarsSeason 18. The TV and music star arrives with a young, passionate fan base, but some longtime DWTS viewers may not be familiar with the 23-year-old heartthrob. So here are six things to know about James.
1. He was in Big Time Rush the TV show. Once upon a time, there was a Nickelodeon show called Big Time Rush, following the Hollywood adventures of four guys in a band. James played arguably the best-looking of those guys, James Diamond. The show got big ratings for the network and ran from 2009 to 2013, making it the third longest-running live action series in Nickelodeon history. James has a lot of fans out there from this show, but he got his start on another big Nick show, iCarly.
2. He’s still in Big Time Rush the boy band. The Big Time Rush band — featuring James, Kendall Schmidt, Carlos Pena, Jr., and Logan Henderson — was introduced at the same time as the TV show, in a nice bit of cross promotion. The band released its third studio album this past June and the guys just went on a world tour from February 7-23, 2014, including dates in Mexico and South America. A 2012 Parade Magazine poll even named Big Time Rush the “Best Boy Band in the World” — take that, One Direction and The Wanted!
3. He toured with now DWTS rival Cody Simpson. This season of DWTS has a lot of built-in rivalries. We have two ice dance partners competing against each other, two TV nostalgia stars competing against each other, and now Cody Simpson, 17, vs. James Maslow, 23. Cody actually opened for Big Time Rush during their 2012 tour, then went on to open for Justin Bieber. So we’re expecting a friendly rivalry between the two popular young DWTS pop stars.
4. His dog Fox is even cuter than he is. It's close, though! James regularly shares pics of his best bud Fox on Instagram, usually on #Foxphotofriday. So if you need a good “aww!” to get you going, look for Fox pics on Fridays.
5. He licks his lips a lot, among other things. Back in 2010, James sat down for ClevverTV’s 1 Minute Hot Seat questions, and (rapidly!) revealed some interesting stuff about himself. He said his favorite holiday is Hanukkah, his favorite food is Italian, his worst habit is licking his lips, his favorite actor is Johnny Depp, his favorite music artist is John Mayer, his favorite sports team is the San Diego Chargers, and his favorite movie is Zoolander. So when he’s not licking his lips, we may see some “Blue Steel” poses from him!
6. He’s already been romantically linked to his partner Peta. In early February, James and DWTS pro Peta Murgatroyd were photographed out on a “dinner date.” Shortly after that, Life & Style quoted an unnamed source who said the two were indeed dating, having met through friends. The source also said their relationship could be getting serious soon. Well, the next month they were revealed as DWTS partners, and that is pretty serious business. It’s not clear if they are really dating or if that dinner date was just a pre-partnership meeting. Either way, they do seem to get along well and they’re not hard to look at together. Peta just went through a season of showmance rumors with Brant Daugherty, so she may be in for it again!
Are you rooting for James and Peta to win this season? DWTS Season 18 premieres Monday, March 17 at 8 p.m. ET on ABC.