Who Is Kacey Musgraves? 5 Things to Know About the Grammy-Winning Country Star!
Kacey Musgraves made waves last night when she beat out Taylor Swift for Best Country Album at the 2014 Grammy Awards for Same Trailer Different Park. And while many may have fallen in love with the Texas-born country crooner last night when she performed “Follow Your Arrow,” this gal has been around the block a time or two.
Country die-hards clung to Kacey’s music in 2013 as she breathed fresh air into a year dominated by “bro country” hits that seemed to only focus on three things: girls, beer, and going down to the river. With Kacey urging listeners to “roll up a join” and “kiss lots of girls,” she’s definitely bringing a certain flare to her genre.
If you loved Kacey’s performance last night, check out some interesting facts about the 25-year-old singer below:
1. She’s not an American Idol, she’s a Nashville Star. While American Idol is a fine start to anyone’s career, Kacey opted for a more down-home version to get her big break. The “Blowin’ Smoke” singer appeared on the fifth season of USA Network’s Nashville Star in 2007, where she came in seventh place. Just for the record, Angela Hacker won that season of the singing competition show and hasn’t even been nominated for a Grammy. Sometimes coming in first isn’t everything.
2. She’s the definition of what a singer-songwriter should be. Not only did Kacey win two Grammys this year for her vocal and writing talents on Same Trailer Different Park, she’s had massive success with some songs that she’s also gotten noticed for songs that she wrote for other huge names. Kacey garnered CMA, ACA, and Grammy noms for penning Miranda Lambert’s mega-hit “Mama’s Broken Heart.” And while she writes all of her own music, Kacey even found time to co-write “Undermine” for ABC’s hit drama Nashville. This girl is a busy bee!
3. She’s in love. If you take one look at Kacey’s adorable Instagram account (@spaceykacey), you’ll soon learn that she’s off the market. Kacey is dating bandmate Misa Arriaga, who plays acoustic guitar and ukulele while providing background vocals for some of her songs. She affectionately refers to him as her “sexy nerd” on her account and the two brighten up many Instagram selfies together. They’re currently our favorite country couple.
4. She’s hardly a newcomer. Just because Kacey blew up this year with Same Trailer Different Park and was nominated for Best New Artist at the 2014 Grammy Awards doesn’t mean this she hasn’t been around for a while. Before even appearing on Nashville Star, Kacey had already put out three albums. She released Movin’ On in 2002 under the CDBaby label and released two independent albums, Wanted: One Good Cowboy (2003) and Kacey Musgraves (2007), before competing. Since then she’s put out one EP, featuring “Apologize” and “See You Again,” before hitting the big times in 2013 with her fourth studio album under the Mercury Records label.
5. She’s inspired by classic female country artists. According to her own website, Kacey draws her musical inspiration from the amazing female country artists that have come before her. Upon getting likened to Loretta Lynn or Dolly Parton, Kacey said, “I’m really inspired by both of them.” She goes on to note that Patti Griffin is another source of inspiration for her blossoming artistry. That being said, she did promise to follow pop princess Katy Perry on tour this year on her Prismatic World Tour. We will definitely follow our arrow arrow to get to those shows!
Are you a Kacey fan? Hit the comments and let us know if she’s won you over!