While Kate Mulgrew is far from a newbie to the acting scene, her role as unforgettable mistress of the kitchen, Red, on Orange Is the New Black has made her a household name to a whole new audience.
Who exactly is she? new fans might be asking. We've got the answer, in the form of five fun facts about this beloved actress.
1. She's Captain Janeway, duh! Kate has a long and storied career, but she's probably most well known for playing the intrepid Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager. She is the first and only female captain to helm one of the Star Trek series, and, let's be real, Janeway was one of our first female heroes. Oh Captain, our Captain.
2. She and Taylor Schilling have shared the screen before. This isn't the first time Kate has appeared on the same show as Taylor Schilling (Piper Chapman) — she was also featured in 10 episodes of Mercy, a hospital drama Taylor starred in.
3. She's actually been to prison — as a guest! Kate has actually been to prison before. No, she didn't commit a crime — she was in a movie that shot at Rikers. "It chills you to the bone," she says of the experience.
4. Sometimes she accidentally falls into Red's accent. Kate is from Ohio, but when she's on set she stays in Red's Russian accent, and sometimes she even accidentally uses it at home.
5. She really did cut her hair for the part. Red's iconic hair is no wig. Kate really chopped her normally long brown locks for the role, but it wasn't easy to get her to do it.
Sources: IMDB, Vulture, The Huffington Post