1. Riding whales was a necessity for her. Keisha is probably best known for her childhood role as the lead in the film Whale Rider, but it turns out that riding whales may have been a practical way for her to get around in the water: she didn’t know how to swim when she was cast in the role.
2. Speaking of Whale Rider... The film earned Keisha an Oscar nomination for Best Actress in 2004, when she was just 13, making her the youngest actress ever nominated for the award at the time.
3. She had a busy day with Star Wars. Keisha appeared in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith as Queen of Naboo, and she spent seven hours having makeup applied and filmed all of her scenes for the film in the same day. That’s a long day.
4. She’s from Down Under. Keisha was born in Australia, but moved to New Zealand at 18 months, where she has spent most of her life.
5. She represents Polynesians. Keisha is half-Maori, and is only the second Polynesian actress to be nominated for an Oscar after Tahitian actress Jocelyne LaGarde.