Game of Thrones fans know Michelle Fairley best as the late Stark matriarch, Catelyn Stark, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface. Here are five facts about Michelle that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. She reads the books. Michelle has read the A Song of Ice and Fire books upon which GoT is based, and she thinks they aid in her performance. She says, “I read per season ... The books are amazing for an appendix because George [R.R. Martin] writes the internal thoughts of a character. If they happen to lift the scene and put it in the television series, you can go and reference it, read between the lines, and use it, if you wish. It might not be appropriate to the scene that they’ve written, but it’s a good base to have.”
2. She’s considered forming a Dead Character’s Club. Hey, we’re all for this idea. Michelle tells Vulture about her and former costar Sean Bean (Ned Stark), “We haven't yet formed the dead Game of Thrones club. The Dead Characters Club. I think we might just have to!” We smell a spin-off!
3. She was also in Harry Potter. Yep, GoT is not Michelle’s first foray into fantasy. She portrayed Hermione Granger’s mother in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One.
4. She was nominated for an Olivier Award. In addition to television and film, Michelle is also an accomplished stage actress. She earned a nomination for an Olivier Award (the British equivalent to the Tony Awards) in 2008 for her role in Othello.
5. She’s Irish. While most of the cast of GoT is known for their English heritage, Cat hails from the Emerald Isle. She was born in Coleraine, Northern Ireland. Of course she would be from the North!
Sources: Collider, Vulture, IMDb, The Guardian