Miss Claudette is one of the most memorable characters from Orange Is the New Black Season 1. A killer, but deeply sympathetic, her storyline was both compelling and heartbreaking, and a lot of its success was because of Michelle Hurst's wonderful performance.
So, who is this actress? For those of you who want to know more about Michelle, we've gathered five fun facts about her to help you get to know her better.
1. She's been in a lot of Law & Order. Between Law & Order, Law & Order: SVU, and Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Michelle has played eight different characters in the Law & Order franchise.
2. She does narration for the Met! Here's a cool tidbit from Michelle's resume: she's done narration for the famous Metropolitan Museum of Art.
3. She fears prison. Michelle told CableTV.com that "what actually drew me in [to OITNB] was not so much the character, but the idea of doing something in a prison. It’s one of my little phobias. It’s like 'Oh my God, no.' That being said, as an actor you are also told to go towards the things that you fear, so that was in the back of my head. If I am going to do this, it’s going to be a new adventure for me."
4. OITNB is her first series regular TV role. Michelle has had an extensive role in theater and film, but OITNB is her first time as a series regular on a TV show. She calls it "one of the most memorable experiences in [her] career."
5. She's award winning. In 1996 Michelle was awarded the Segal Award, a $4,000 prize for young artists that's chosen by one of the constituent organizations of Lincoln Center.
Did you learn something about Michelle Hurst? Let us know in the comments below!
Sources: IMDB, CableTV.com, Examiner, The New York Time