Game of Thrones fans know Jack Gleeson best as the awful and sadistic King of the Seven Kingdoms, Joffrey Baratheon, but, much like on the show, there’s a lot going on under the surface. Here are five facts about Jack that even the most ardent GoT fan might not know.
1. He loves puppies. In an adorable Vine, Jack can be seen cuddling with a young pup outside Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. Kinda makes you think twice about hating Joffrey so much, doesn’t it?
2. He raps. Always the performer, Jack keeps his costars entertained between takes with his mad MC skills. Sophie Turner, who portrays Sansa on GoT, tells EW, “He was rapping about Winnie the Pooh ... His rap was called, ‘Got Monies and Honies.’” Umm, that sounds like an amazing song.
3. He wasn’t originally going to be Joffrey. At first, Jack was merely a double for another actor who was being considered to portray the boy king, but Jack eventually brought the producers to their senses. Co-creator David Benioff says, “When it came time for the audition, it was like he flipped a switch and he became the most despicable teenager on the planet.” That he did, that he did indeed.
4. He may quit acting after GoT. While Jack enjoys his role on the show, he thinks he may want a more scholarly career in the future. “After Game Of Thrones, I'd be happy to do some amateur plays but I don't think I want to do any more professional acting ... I'd like to be an academic, a philosophy lecturer if possible. I'd do a Masters in Ancient Hebrew maybe, and a PhD hopefully, if I get in.” While we of course support Jack in his endeavors, we would definitely miss him on our televisions!
5. He’s a good sport. As seen in this (slightly NSFW) photo, Jack has no problems with what people think of Joffrey, and clearly finds humor in the subject.
Sources: Huffington Post, EW, Independent.ie, Reddit
" alt="Who Is Game of Thrones Star Jack Gleeson? Five Things to Know About Him" class="image-fit">