UPDATE 9/5/2013 5:15 p.m. (PT)

“Thanks for all the support at this time it’s been a tough few days and it’s only made me value everything so much more,” One Direction’s Liam Payne tweeted earlier today, likely in reference to the fire that broke out at his apartment and seriously injured a friend. Stay strong, Liam!

ORIGINAL STORY 9/4/2013 12:04 p.m. (PT)

A friend of One Direction’s Liam Payne was rushed to the hospital with second-degree burns after a fire broke out at the boy band member’s apartment on Monday, September 2.

The fire started when Liam’s friend tried to refuel an outside heater on the apartment’s balcony. The heater malfunctioned, setting both the balcony and Liam’s friend on fire, reports the Daily Mail.

Liam was reportedly in the kitchen when the accident occurred. He rushed to put out the flames before calling an ambulance and firetruck at 9:45 p.m. Upon their arrival, Liam rode with his friend to the hospital. The friend is recovering from upper body burns in the hospital; the balcony was destroyed.

Liam just recently returned to England after touring the US and promoting 1D’s new movie, This Is Us. He spent the visit celebrating his 20th birthday on August 29.

Good morning everyone :) can't quite believe my life there’s no bigger birthday present than what you’ve done for me in 3 years thank you xx,” Liam tweeted the morning of his birthday. He has yet to make a public comment on the fire.

Liam has also been spotted out with new girlfriend Sophia Smith. She and the other members of 1D have not been reported as being at Liam’s apartment during the blaze.

Best wishes to Liam’s friend as he covers!

Sources: Daily Mail and Liam Payne on Twitter

Credit: AlloyDigital Photo: Liam Payne Rushed To Hospital After Apartment Catches Fire